Terrazzo floor is a mosaic poured flooring, which has 2-component composition. Binding agent - portland cement, polymer (polyurethane or epoxy compound) or a combination of cement and polymers. Decorative filler - marble, granite, dolomite or syenite crumb.
Advantages and disadvantages of Terrazzo floor
Terrazzo, or Venetian floor, colored concrete impresses with performance, aesthetic, installation characteristics.
Operational and decorative advantages:
Service life - 50 years
- High durability and wear resistance
Withstands high dynamic and static loads. The best compressive strength is when using granite filler. Terrazzo can be laid in places with high traffic or significant external loads. Terrazzo floor in Minsk can be found in commercial sites, business centers, swimming pools, saunas, restaurants, private cottages.
Provides the product with high hygienic characteristics. If food products get on the surface, bacteria will not grow in the cracks. This is relevant for food production facilities.
- Resistance to sunlight.
Important for collections for outdoor terraces.
- Moisture resistance
A fundamentally important criterion for baths, swimming pools. Polyurethane-based solutions don't require any additional waterproofing, in fact, the solutions fulfill waterproofing function.
- Ecological safety
No release of harmful substances, no dust formation. Recommended for residential buildings, kindergartens, hospitals.
- Chemical stability
Valuable for chemical and pharmaceutical industries. The most successful option in this case - the purchase of cement-polyurethane coating. It is resistant to alkalis, halogens (chlorine, bromine, fluorine).
- Temperature resistance
Resistant to high temperatures. Up to 150°C.
Choice of colors and textures. It is possible to create complex geometric patterns. Terrazzo floor can give your interior a spectacular glossy shine.
Harmonious combination with other materials. There is a simultaneous use in the interior with natural marble, granite, parquet, laminate, vinyl and paper wallpaper. There can be sharp transitions from one material to another.
- Ability to visually increase the room space
A small cabinet or room seems to be more spacious due to the properly laid marble crumb pattern.
- Room zoning possibilities
Through the use of flooring of contrast colors in different areas, the room can be zoned in different ways.
- Easy care
To remove most stains, all you need is a cloth or a sponge. Even fresh coffee and wine stains can be easily removed in this way. This property makes the material attractive for restaurants, bars, coffee shops.
- The works can be carried out even at a low temperature of +5 °. Installation on the ten-day concrete is possible
- Faster commissioning times. No unpleasant odor.
- No need to install floor plinths. For large areas it is sufficient to install compensating metal inserts.
- Suitable for laying on inclined objects, e.g. inclined galleries between air terminal tiers. Large flow of people, dynamic loads from suitcase wheels - terrazzo copes with all this very effectively.
- Reduced cost of finishing large areas in companies (by using low cost marble and granite waste).
- Reduced cost of maintaining coating integrity. No need for regular local repairs.
- The price for Terrazzo floor is lower, than for marble flooring.
- High heat conductivity. The problem is solved by installation of heating equipment.
- Change of color with time. Requires periodic polishing.
Terrazzo mosaic flooring techniques
The technique can be based on the manufacture of a seamless pouring surface or laying of tiles made of portland cement by vibration compaction, and then poured with granulate. Tiles made of Portland cement should be distinguished from ceramic tiles, which imitate the texture of porcelain tiles, marble, classic terazzo pattern, and are more suitable for walls or floorings for areas with low traffic.
The choice of pouring material - portland cement, epoxy compound or a combination of these - depends on the object. Epoxy compound is used for interior applications. It opens the consumer a wide range of colors. It guarantees the absence of micro-cracks. Products based on cement, portland cement are more universal. They are also suitable for outdoor works. Cement-based pouring technique is common in outdoor sports complexes, summer terraces of restaurants.
For the manufacture of mosaic surfaces large inserts of marble, granite are introduced into the system at the initial stage. With the "Seminato" method, the pattern is formed after the base pouring.
- Screed arrangement. Selection of screed components, taking into account the specific room, expected traffic, humidity level. Professional screed selection is a guarantee that in the future there will be no peeling of decorative layer, cracks of its surface.
- Decorative coating application. Base mixture is prepared. Seeding of mixtures of marble, granite granulate, rolling and tamping of the decorative layer is carried out. As a binder we use high quality cements and polymers. They provide a coating of high compression, density. The material is well grindable. No loss of crumbs, no scrapes. When laying, we take into account the temperature and humidity levels in the room. Provide gradual evaporation of moisture. If humidity is low, then use sand or other moisture-absorbing materials and carry out humidification.
- "Opening the stone." Grinding and puttying with cement, fine granulate.
- Polishing and protective treatment.
The technology depends on the materials. For example, if you are using polymeric components and fine granules, grinding step can be omitted.
You can order Terrazzo floor in our company. Hauptmann has a high-tech production of poured flooring. We work with decorative and industrial floors, accompany the client from the first call to the project conclusion.